Pages

Monday, March 21, 2016

The Second Element: Something to Want (Plus Percy!)



It occurred to me that last week I never actually told you about my protagonist, which is horrible and I should feel bad. So this week, I will be introducing the story goal (or “Something to Want”) and my protagonist. That’s like, a double whammy or something. 

Yee-haw and such.

So without further ado, my protagonist:
PERCY QUINCE.
Isn't he cute
TADA

But I’m sure you’re all wondering: Who is Percy? What is he like? What makes him tick? Is he a robot? Because people shouldn’t be ticking.

I will answer those questions in order, which will lead nicely into “Something to Want.”

Who is Percy?
Percy is an 18-year-old boy. He has light brown hair and brown eyes. He’s pretty average looking, though I might add he has asthma. This is important to the story later.

What is he like? What makes him tick?
Well, it’s later now. I will explain why asthma is important. His aunt and uncle took him in when his parents died of smallpox. His aunt and uncle would dearly love Percy to take over their ship building business, but what kind of place is that for a poor boy with asthma? He would rather die than spend his life doing that. 

Is he a robot?
No.
 
Percy wants nothing more than to be a doctor and help people in need.
And that, my friends, is something to want. The story goal.

Frodo dropping the ring into Mount Doom. That’s the story goal.

Luke Skywalker to defeat Darth Vader. That’s the story goal.

The story goal is something to want. Because if we have a protagonist (that we like), and he wants something, we will want that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment